21 September, 2012

Paul Walsh

It was an invigilation day for me all day, which was unfair completely. Most of my course mates do this at most twice half day but in my case (only me), three times. This was unhappy for me because I have to do packing, cleaning up, and so on in order to leave the flat and the UK.

 
The second half of the day, I was with Paul Walsh who is one of my part time course mates. He is literally a nice guy. According to him, he used to do painting. However, it takes long time compared with photography, therefore he convert from paintings to photography. And also his preference is to walk around, which is his photographing style as well. He showed his images from this series. My favourite is a image which shows a runner on a passage.

The style of photographs of my course mates are absolutely diverse. Abstraction, black and white, studio work, super large prints, whatever. But the thing is all their bodies of work are not necessarily brilliant, not always acceptable since you have got your favour.


In that situation, his photographic style gets on me. I really love his photographs and his style. Because his bodies of work are quite simple but exquisite and meaningful. With regard to his walking style, I used to do when I was in Japan and have been doing the same way when I get on a journey. In other words, walking photography is a basic. Some eminent photographers take pictures from an airplane or a helicopter, or in the sea. These viewpoints are in a way unusual. You cannot see this world from these aspects and that's why it makes us fascinated. However, the point is paradox I suppose. It can be said that the picturesque photos from abnormal angles are attractive as its beauty, rareness and to be moved by these images is quite normal reaction. Contrary to this, it should be much wicked when you find a unusual moment in a ordinary standpoint. This is what he is doing and I am trying to do as well.
Despite we are photographers, we rarely have a picture taken for ourselves. Yet because I like him as both a photographer and a man, I asked him to be photographed with me. Yes, this is a commemoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment